Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When life gives you dead roses, make potpurri



I think it is terribly hard for me to do anything consistently. As an emotionally driven person, so much depends on the mood I am in.

Some days I feel like taking 20 pictures. Some days I feel compelled to write poems. Some days I want to write out quotes or make a photo collage. Some days I want to read 100 pages of a book and sometimes I am excited to dig into my Bible. Other days I just want to crawl into bed and cry or take a bath or waste time online and do nothing productive. And then some days I want to blog (rant? vent?) about my life as a teacher.

~

I brought some work to do while the kids were in library and the kids watched me in fascination as I cut shapes out of construction paper, repeatedly asking "what are you doing?"

I attempted to talk with (lecture) my classes today about the importance of being respectful, as I seem to continue to struggle with classroom management. (It doesn't help to be told  I am not needed, as well as that I suck at what I do on top of the fact that my students constantly try to assert their own authority/power/control over my classroom). My students, however, were much  more interested in telling me about how over the weekend they lost a tooth or threw up or went to the arcade. 

During writing, one of my students was casually singing "save a horse, ride a cowboy"

Apparently today is my birthday, as one of my students made me a card and continually wished me a happy birthday despite my telling him my birthday was in September.

After school, 10 or so teachers sat in a freezing cold classroom in tiny chairs eating junky snacks and discussing how starting in Kindergarten we should basically "teach to the test" (the ISAT)

Oh the joys of teaching Kindergarten. You have to celebrate the small victories I suppose.

One of my most challenging and "low" students zipped his own coat today. And another "low" one wrote the sentence "I love Mom" all by himself :)



No comments: