Friday, April 2, 2010

Of Men and Angels

I went to a concert tonight (on Good Friday, I know...) I absolutely love music, especially live, and have been enjoying it quite regularly this year.

Bryce Avery, frontman for the pseudo Christian power pop band The Rocket Summer took the stage.The crowd went wild as he sweated buckets and busted out falsetto and crowd surfed. Everything he said was met with a chorus of  enthusiastic cheers.

Now anyone who knows me knows I am as guilty as anyone of hero worshiping rock stars (I practically had a Dave Tamkin shrine). But it just made me think about how much we idolize and worship stars.

The Rocket Summer has Über loyal fans, and I think it is awesome. But I think it is important to remember that the 20-something singer is trying to point us to Jesus, not be Jesus.

No comments: