Monday, June 28, 2010

But Jesus keeps them standing

June 28, 2007
When I came in to teach, the kids were chanting “Teacher Rachel ni mzuri!” which means “Teacher Rachel is good!” :) All of them are so fascinated by my skin and hair, and constantly wanting to touch me and shake my hand. At first, this made me feel a little uncomfortable, but then I learned to embrace it.

I set up centers for the kids today. I was worried this would be a complete disaster, but it worked really well. I made 5 stations where they could copy numbers and count, copy words and letters, use crayons and pencils to draw/write, look at/read books, and use clay. They rotated around the room so everyone got to do each thing. And for one hour, they got to be a bit creative in their learning without getting hit or yelled at. The other teachers liked my ideas and I felt very successful.



June 28, 2009
I took a hot splash bath and then piled in a matatu with 30 kids to go to church. My Dad and I each had 3 kids in our laps. They sang on the bumpy, hilly ride. We went to Pastor John’s church which was at the bottom of this beautiful hill. The worship was in Swahili. The kids from our orphanage sang one of my favorite Kenyan songs:
Cast your burdens unto Jesus
For He cares for you
Higher, higher, higher Jesus higher
My Dad shared the story of the man who was paralyzed and his friends lowered him through the roof so Jesus could heal him. Then he illustrated by having the kids pick each other up and him up on a blanket. 

Some kids from the orphanage:

 Simon & Jack, twins

Lydia
When we first arrived, she would never talk or smile. I have never seen such a serious baby. She would cry if a white person came near her. But even in the short time we were there, we saw her begin to smile, laugh, and talk. 

Jane, who was 10 and a foot shorter than me, giving me a piggy back ride

kids from the church lookin like homies

after you learn you shapes, colors, letters and numbers in Kenyan school, you learn the birth of Jesus and the parts of a cow. Both very important!

No comments: