Friday, June 18, 2010

School

June 18, 2007

I visited the school where I would be teaching every day for the next several weeks.

June 18, 2009

I went to the school where the kids from the orphanage I was working at attend. I ended up going there almost every day for the next few weeks as well.


 It's interesting...at both schools I was overwhelmed by the poverty- lack of resources, not enough teachers, classrooms with wooden desks a chalkboard and nothing else, outdated lessons being delivered through rote memorization. I was intimidated by the sea of Kenyan children staring at me, touching me, asking "how are you?", calling me mzungu (white person) or repeating my name over and over. I was feeling helpless, like there was more I should be doing in my short time besides sitting in the dirt surrounded by kids. Yet I was touched by them as well, their cuteness and innocence.



And here I am today, 2 weeks ago was my last official day of work and really I have just felt useless ever since. I thought I would be so happy to be done but I feel like there is something more I should be doing with my life than sitting in my room in my pajamas blogging when it's almost noon. I know every tired mom and tired teacher and tired everything else just wants a day of rest, but having purpose is important too.

No comments: