Thursday, June 17, 2010

TIA

June 17, 2007
I went to my first Kenyan church service. Anyone who thinks church is boring needs to go to church in Africa. They sing and dance, and the pastor loves to yell when he preaches!

I ate yomachoma for the first time, which is a grilled meat that Kenyans love. They eat it with their hands of course, with rice or ugali and sometimes this yummy mix of avocado and tomato.

I went to the Nairobi National Park and we did the safari walk, which is kind of like a zoo where they take in animals who would die in the wild. I loved it!

June 17, 2009
I slept in and spent the morning at the orphanage dong pretty much nothing because the kids were at school. I was frustrated and bored (kind of like today). Then we rook the kids their lunch. At the school, the kids who have parents bring their lunch to school But since our kids are orphans, every day someone from the orphanage beings them lunch. This involves carrying 1-2 heavy buckets of hot food and a backpack full of plates & silverware, then carrying back the empty buckets and dirty dishes. It is a 3 mile walk, downhill on the way there so you have to climb down these rocks and I thought I might fall and die, and uphill on the way back which kills your legs and I thought I might hyperventilate and die. Yet every day if there are no volunteers one of the workers of the orphanage who spend their day cooking and cleaning for the kids does this. The kids also walk to and from school every day, some as young as 5. When they come home, they wash their uniforms, take a bath, do their homework and sometimes other chores. They sleep in a room with about 10 other kids and usually share a bed. Yet you will never ever hear them complain. They are always smiling, dancing, singing, laughing, and playing.

1 comment:

waetfrhj said...

The title TIA captured my attention im african and plan on doing humanitarian work when I return I just want to let you know that what your doing is wonderful and as an african I apprciate your help.