Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Parallel lines

June 22, 2007

I visited the school where my roommate Ashley was teaching. I had thought the kids at my school were in poverty; I was blown away by the conditions at this other school. The entire building consisted of a tin shack which had been divided into a few rooms by curtains and makeshift walls. There were hardly any windows and no electricity so it was very dim. They did not have money to pay their teachers properly so often the teachers simply did not show up. I taught first grade for most of the day, flying by the seat of my pants. It was overwhelming, exhausting, and heartbreaking but great just to love on them as much as I could.

“Words can’t describe this place, I will have to take a lot of pictures.”


June 22, 2009

A different Ashley who I was staying with came to the school I was teaching at with me. It is interesting to see other people’s perceptions on Kenya, on the world in general. Why is it that when we see someone doing something differently than the way we do, we assume our way is superior and theirs is “wrong”? Even something as simple as referring to the non-American world as driving on “the wrong side of the road.”

“One minute I feel like I can’t stay here for 1 more day and the next I never want to leave”

PS I was a bit homesick on both of these days.

 The kids had a science lesson on "small animals" (aka bugs) then had to go outside and find some!

My Dad (Dennis) and Dennis Kareuke.

No comments: