Friday, July 23, 2010

And step by step You lead me

July 23, 2009

It was my last day in Kenya. I had been trying to get a hold of Wanja, the girl who stayed at the house with me in 2007 and who I had become friends with. I kept calling her number, and getting no answer and finally I figured I would not be able to see her. Then the day before, I tried one last time, and she answered! She spent the entire conversation saying, “Oh my God!” And she wasn’t sure if she’d be able to meet me because the new family she worked for was very strict on her. But, she was able to sneak out and we met at Nakumatt for smoothies and got to catch up. 


Then I met with Julia and some other volunteers from International Teams. We walked around the shops (it’s like a little mall there) then drove to this place called Amani Ya Ju. Women from Kenya and Somalia go there to live, and make and sew things to earn a living. They had so many nice things there; I could have spent a fortune! I bought some pretty placemats. 


We had lunch in the city. Then I went back to Grace’s, got ready, and finished packing. Then someone drove me to the airport and it was time to say goodbye to Kenya again. It felt sad and surreal.

“I have a feeling I will be back…”

No comments: