Saturday, July 24, 2010

She came home on a mountain

Both of my times in Kenya were challenging experiences. I endured power outages, having no power at all, cold showers, having no showers at all, seeing extreme poverty contrasted with wealth and wordless, homesickness, physical sickness (thankfully never very bad), being heckled, fear of the unknown, having circumstances be out of my control, meeting tons of new people, having no alone time (I am an introvert!), packing and repacking my suitcase, mzungu drama, Kenyan time (1 hour late is the norm!), slow Internet, no Internet, slums, the middle of nowhere, new food, new faces, new places, feeling helpless, matatus, traffic, bartering, walking for miles on end, teaching with no materials or prep time, and putting my life in the hands of complete strangers.
I wanted to go home at tines. I wanted to cry a lot. At times I was frustrated. But looking back, I always say this was the best time of my life. I got to hold lots of adorable babies/children, hold a day-old goat, kiss a giraffe, touch an elephant, pet a cheetah, see a child's face light up when you give him/her a pencil, feed over 100 children, sort 500 donated books, tickle Dylan and make him laugh hysterically, answer many questions about life in America, make new friends, grade papers, impress teachers, teach kids worship songs, read the Bible in a public school, stand on the equator, hike Mount Kenya, scuba dive in the Indian ocean, comfort crying children, hear the stories of orphans, take an African safari, touch a hot spring, ride a camel, learn how to make chapati, stir ugali, be adopted by a wonderful host family, go to many Kenyan churches, and see God's hand all over the people in Kenya and in my life as well.

When you are alone in a strange land with no conveniences and comforts of home and little control over your situation, I figured my choices were to completely freak out or choose to trust God. Despite occasional moments of freaking out, overall this was such a sweet time between me and God. We were tight. I was clinging to Him for dear life. I learned to let go, and not worry (hakuna matata!) because things work out, and even when they don't that's ok too. I learned that possessions and circumstances have nothing to do with having joy of faith. I saw people with nothing offer me tea with hospitality and graciousness. I saw people with unfair lives never complain but love Jesus with all their hearts.

I swore to not forget the things I learned. I wanted to stay close to God even after I left. I promised to not take anything for granted, from a drop of hot water or the fact that our water comes out of a sink 24/7 and is potable. I was filled with joy.

1 comment:

Teen Bean said...

ahhh rach! i love when you blog about how you are feeling in the moment! ahh still excited to hear about your decision and the path you are deciding on! praying for you love!

kiss and hug!