Friday, July 2, 2010

Maybe I should marry a Kenyan?


July 2, 2007
At school I taught about the body, and how to stay healthy. I sang some songs with them. In the afternoon, I was with 4th and 5th  grade. They asked me a lot of questions about America.
“One of the male teachers was telling me the easiest way to become a Kenyan citizen is to marry one, haha. They are beautiful people but I don’t think I could live here. It’s exhausting being stared at all the time or trying to understand what they are saying...There are kids who are abandoned by their parents and go picking in the garbage for food… It’s so sad. It makes me want to do more-build an orphanage, make this my life’s work, but I don’t know. It is a big job (money, time, travel. I’m not Oprah!"
I didn’t take any pictures today
July 2, 2009
We took a safari game drive all day! We saw elephants, giraffes, lions, cheetahs, wildebeest, buffalo, birds, monkeys zebra, hippos, crocodiles, and gazelles.



“It was a fabulous day. It is gorgeous here.”


We had delicious food all day. After dinner, we went to the Maasai village. The men and women did some traditional dances for us, and we got to see where they live. The Maasai are the most famous tribe in Kenya because they have held on to their traditions rather than becoming westernized like the other tribes. They live in huts made of cow dung. They herd cattle and goats. They have multiple wives sometimes. Traditionally to become a man in the Maasai tribe you have to kill a lion with just a spear. Anyway, I got to hold a goat there that was 1 day old! It was so cute! Ione of the Maasai said I could stay and keep it, and offered my Dad 10 cows for me, haha. 


I took over 200 pictures today!

No comments: