Saturday, July 10, 2010

still I judge success by how I'm dressing

July 10, 2007

I spent the morning at school, and had the kids draw pictures of me. I also helped out the teachers. Then we had lunch with Pastor Rasndy, who came from the US and has been living in Kenya for the past 10 years or so. He is really cool, and we talked. He has a mix of a southern accent (he’s from Gerogia) and a Kenyan one, haha. Then we went to use the internet, and I set up an email for Wanja, who is my age and had never used a computer before! We also went to the market.


This is the outside of the school I had been volunteering at


July 10, 2009

We left early in the morning while it was still dark, and boarded a bus for Mombasa! The bus was like a charter bus. They played horrible R & B music through the speakers above our heads and some creepy Kenyan guy was staring at us during the whole ride. It started getting hot when we got near Mombasa but this lady who was all wrapped in scarves like she was cold yelled at us when we opened the window. It was a long ride! Luckily I slept some, and listened to music. 

We took a ferry to the place where we were staying (Ukunda) which was outside the city of Mombasa. We were staying with some host families there. I asked to take a shower, and they gave me an ice cold bucket of water! We had dinner and then went to this place called 40 thieves, which is a restaurant/bar. We got there, and I was happy and surprised to find it was right on the Indian Ocean! There were tables outside and couches right in the sand, and warm waves rolling in. We walked out on the beach (it was nighttime by now), and there were all these sand crabs crawling around! It was so cool!




No comments: