Thursday, July 15, 2010

Once I'm gone I cannot look back

July 15, 2007

It was my last night in Kenya. Our neighbors decided to have a marriage celebration at 2am! They were playing drums, dancing, and singing, all very loudly! I managed to get some sleep.

I went to Nairobi Chapel, and met up with some missionaries from my home church there! We sang “Our God is an Awesome God,” which I had taught to the kids at school.

After church we went to Nakumatt junction and I ate the most delicious banana walnut pancakes and chatted with some ladies there.

We shopped a little bit there, and then I went home and finished packing. I ate dinner and said goodbye to everyone, then drove to the airport. It was hard to say goodbye.\

I had come to Kenya frightened, unsure, and left full of joy and faith. 

“It is so amazing how and where God calls people… God has been awesome this whole time in Kenya and it has been such a wonderful experience. Emotional and challenging, I will never forget it.”



July 15, 2009

In the middle of our bus ride home, some sand lorry drivers went on strike in the middle of the road because they wanted to be paid more. Hundreds of cars were stuck, including our bus, for 2-3 hours! I slept during most of this time (it was around 2am!). We were supposed to get into Nairobi at 6am, and we finally made it at 10am. 

I went back to the orphanage to meet team 2 of Shana’s group. We went to Nakumatt Junction and I ate focaccia bread at a nice Italian restaurant there. We went to the orphanage to say hi to the kids and hang out with them. Then we had dinner. My first time in Kenya, I was ready to be home at this point, but this time around I felt there was more still for me to do and was glad I had more time.

“In Kenya I am learning to be assertive and spontaneous, to complain/worry less. I am also remembering how much I love kids.”



Proverbs 6:4 (New International Version)
Allow no sleep to your eyes,
no slumber to your eyelids.

(chew on that one, Bill Gothard!)

No comments: