Tuesday, July 13, 2010

This whole land is calling out for You

July 13, 2007

I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever. I didn’t have a thermometer so I am not sure how high it was but I was having massive chills, body aches, the whole bit. I was terrified so I called my mom, took some Tylenol, and went back to sleep. Thankfully in the morning I felt a bit better because we did a game drive all day!

We saw tons of animals once again- giraffes, a male lion, hippos, warthogs, hyena and rhino. That night we took a tour of the Maasai village. They did dances for us and showed us their homes. I got to wear a hat they made out of a real lion mane! 








July 13, 2009


I went with another volunteer to a school with kids who are orphans but live mostly with family members. It was a small school, with only preschool, kindergarten and a 1st/2nd grade combined class. They have 1 teacher for both preschool and Kindergarten, which are 2 small classes connected. I taught “baby class” (preschool) for the morning. I played with all of them during break.



I carried two 5 liter jugs of water, and helped make chapatti. Then we ate with the kids and did the dishes.

We went to 40 thieves and I swam in the ocean. The water was shallow and warm, it was really nice. Then we walked down the beach, checked our email, and took a matatu home. 





We took our host families out to dinner at this place called African Pot. The food took forever to come but it was good. 


I was thinking a lot today about my purpose, and accomplishing some good in Kenya that would be sustainable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hopefully it going better. The beauty of Africa is always fascinating, this one does not think of the great problems of Africa.